[whatwg] inputmode feedback

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at apple.com
Wed Feb 20 17:14:21 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir at lamouri.fr> wrote:
> To conclude, Mozilla is interested in implementing this set of keywords:
> verbatim, text, name, prose and digit (or numeric).

Why is name not an input type?

How does one decide whether a given semantics should be introduced as a type or a mode?

On Feb 15, 2013, at 12:28 AM, Takayoshi Kochi (河内 隆仁) <kochi at google.com> wrote:

> Hello Mounir,
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 4:29 AM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir at lamouri.fr> wrote:
>
>> Regarding the three Japanese specific types, it is not clear if
>> inputmode is the best way to solve the use cases intended to be solved.
>> Actually, 'kana' and 'katakana' are trying to give a hint about the
>> script that has to be used which seems to be orthogonal with the other
>> types. We could allow inputmode to have a set of values but that would
>> make the behaviour way more complex so I wonder if we couldn't try to
>> solve that problem with another attribute like inputscript.
>>
> "three Japanese specific types"? 'kana', 'katakana', and 'full-width-latin"?
>
> I agree that it is weird 'kana' and 'katakana' are listed as inputmode
> attribute, and 'inputscript' sounds more reasonable place where they should be listed.

Given the text in the spec "[t]he inputmode content attribute is an enumerated attribute that specifies what kind of input mechanism would be most helpful for users entering content into the form control," it makes sense for input mode to include kana and katakana.

On the other hand, I'm surprised to find that these modes are very specific to Japanese.

- R. Niwa