[whatwg] <menu> and friends

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jan 4 23:13:28 PST 2013

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> >> Can you elaborate on what you mean by "if" above. It's already the
> >> case that pages can in all popular browsers.
> >>
> >> Please note that none of the proposals here remove that option. Not
> >> even the proposal from Ian.
> >
> > The spec allows the browser to remove that option. ("User agents may
> > provide means for bypassing the context menu processing model,
> > ensuring that the user can always access the UA's default context
> > menus") It even gives an example of how to do it ("For example, the
> > user agent could handle right-clicks that have the Shift key depressed
> > in such a way that it does not fire the contextmenu event and instead
> > always shows the default context menu").
>
> Sure, but this is purely academic--

I was just disagreeing with the statement "Not even the proposal from
Ian".

> unless browsers actually do this.

Firefox does, though its interface for it is somewhat arcane
(about:config tweaking), right?

Anyway, I don't really understand what we're arguing here. It's not
generally controversial that we should take care in adding new features.
For this one, we have one browser that implements something somewhat like
what the spec now has, and that's it. We have a concern (that some
browsers will avoid the feature entirely if the UA shows the items in
addition to the default items), but we don't have much data to support
this, and we have no data exploring whether any of the various mitigating
ideas (submenu, only including critical UA items, shift key to show the
original menu, never showing the original menu) satisfy authors or users
sufficiently to avoid having to add more syntax.

Until we have more data, not doing anything in the spec is the right move.