[whatwg] <menu> and friends

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Tue Jan 8 22:47:01 PST 2013

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 3:23 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> * <menuitem> is void (requires parser changes).

> and made it so it's only allowed in <menu>.)

Did you actually make these changes to the parsing algorithm? It seems
to me that you didn't, and I'm happy that you didn't.

Currently, menuitem is non-void in Firefox. It was initially designed
to be void but that never shipped and the non-voidness is, AFAIK,
considered intentional. For one thing, being non-void makes the
element parser-neutral and, therefore, easier to polyfill in
menuitem-unaware browsers.

As for <command> behavior in the parser, all major browsers have
shipped releases with <command> as void, so we won't be able to
reliably introduce a non-void element called "command" in the future
anyway. Therefore, I don't see value in removing the voidness of
"command" from parsing or serialization.

Could you, please, revert the serializing algorithm to treat <command>
as void and <menuitem> as non-void?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi