[whatwg] use cases for untitled article and section elements

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Tue Jan 15 04:33:42 PST 2013

2013-01-15 14:15, Ian Yang wrote:

 > The one came into my mind is blog comments, which are often
> coded using untitled <article>s. But personally I think that is wrong
> because every sectioning element should have a heading.

Using headings is generally a very good authoring principle, but there
are exceptions. Small comments rarely benefit from titles (headings).

A very different example is a novel. A novel is almost always divided
into sections, and sections may have subsections (visually separated
e.g. using extra empty space or maybe "***"). The sections may or may
not have title. Often they have just numbers, presented as titles like
"Chapter 1", so they are more or less pseudo-titles (and could be
replaced by CSS-generated content). Subsections almost never have headings.

So what a browser could do, with a novel that uses <section>, is to
provide an outline of the structure, possibly so that along with
numbers, there are short excerpts from the start of each section or
subsection.

Yucca