[whatwg] Forms-related feedback

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jan 15 21:44:37 PST 2013

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, TAMURA, Kent wrote:

> > The key difference is that Google Calendar converts the time to UTC on
> > the backend. That's not the same as type=datetime-local with an
> > optional timezone selector. In fact it's the precise key difference
> > between datetime-local and datetime.
>
> I don't think so.  If you make a repeating event in a region with
> daylight saving time, Google Calendar respects the local time which you
> specified.

Yes, for future events it adjusts the time so as to appear as if the time
the user specified stays the same. But it's still converted to a global
time -- other people looking at the calendar in different time zones see
the event as being at the specified absolute time, not the specified local
time. (In practice, I expect Google Calendar is a lot more clever than
most sites would be for this kind of thing, and therefore as usual Google
isn't quite simple enough to actually use what we provide in the spec...)

I would love if we could have the browsers provide a time zone
geographical location selector, but in practice these change so suddenly,
and with so little notice, that it's not really practical. Updates would
have to be pushed with minimal notice, which is unlikely, and Web authors
around the world would have to coordinate updates to their sites in
parallel with the browsers updating, etc. It would be a nightmare.