[whatwg] Why do we have <input type='month'> and <input type='week'>?

Bruce Lawson brucel at opera.com
Thu Jan 31 04:20:34 PST 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:55:29 -0000, Mounir Lamouri <mounir at lamouri.fr>
wrote:

> Regarding 'month', I mostly don't understand the use case. I can't find
> any situation where I am asked to input a { month, year } information.
> Given that the element is pretty trivial to implement by authors (this
> is basically two <select> or a select and a <input type='number'>),

Others have commented on use-cases for collecting month, eg credit card
expiries.

The use-case for an input type I imagine is that a browser can have a
select-like UI (Jan, Feb, March, April ...) which, in a French language
browser becomes "Janvier, Fevrier, Mars, Avril .. " (or even Vendémiaire
to Fructidor for FRC fans).