[whatwg] Adding 2D Canvas features (Was: Grouping in canvas 2d)

Tom Wiltzius wiltzius at chromium.org
Mon Jul 1 12:15:36 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Mark Callow <callow.mark at artspark.co.jp>wrote:

>  On 2013/06/29 4:30, Tom Wiltzius wrote:
>
> The only major Canvas2D features being actively developed in Chromium right
> now are:
>
>  - having a canvas context "alpha" attribute
>  - text decoration
>
>  I thought some pretty strong objections were raised to text decoration.
> Why are you actively developing it?

There were some concerns cited, as well as some unresolved debate about the
exact shape of the API, but my read is that the objections aren't
sufficiently fundamental to block prototyping (such that we might gain some
implementation experience to inform the API's development).

More to the point of this thread, this feature is being implemented behind
a flag in Chromium and presumably won't be enabled by default until such a
time as it appears to have a hope of being standard. My only question is
whether it's really the case that no new features will be added to the
Canvas2D spec until some of the existing features without implementions are
implemented. I also hoped to address Ian's implied question about what
browsers are interested in implementing what features by pointing out
what's currently going on in Chromium.

If, as Rik suggests, this moratorium isn't serious enough to block features
that are being implemented and that have buy-in from multiple browsers,
then I have no further concerns.