[whatwg] Spec ambiguity and Firefox bug for newlines following <pre> and <textarea>

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jul 1 16:47:18 PDT 2013

On Tue, 14 May 2013, Michael Day wrote:

> If a newline character token follows a <pre> or <textarea> start tag, it
> is supposed to be ignored as an authoring convenience.
>
> However, what if a NULL character token gets in the way?

It's the next token. I've clarified the spec (in response to the bug you
filed on the same issue).

On Mon, 13 May 2013, Peter Occil wrote:

> You should report this issue and your previous issue ("HTML5 is broken:
> <menuitem> causes infinite loop") in Bugzilla.  The WHATWG HTML spec
> makes it easy.

I'll eventually get to issues whether they're sent by e-mail or as bugs. I
just happen to deal with them in batches, and for the first half of this
year I've been focusing on bugs. Filing both just means one of the two is
going to get a confused "I thought we fixed this" response, or something
like the above ("I fixed this at some point..."). :-)