[whatwg] supporting HTMLElement.dataset on SVG elements

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 12 10:21:36 PDT 2013

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> As part of aligning SVG with some not-so-HTML-specific features of HTML,
> the SVG WG would like to support data-* attributes on SVG elements.  In
> mixed HTML/SVG documents, it seems like you would want to be able to use
> these attributes regardless of whether the elements are HTML or SVG, or
> indeed MathML.
>
> Does it make sense to move HTMLElement.dataset up to Element, so that
> all elements can benefit from it?  If not, could this attribute be split
> out on to a separate interface that we could have SVGElement implement?
>
> (I'm also going to be looking at the other global attributes that HTML
> elements have to see if any make sense in SVG too.)

Fine by me. Anne on IRC suggests that maybe we should wait to see evidence
that browsers are adopting the changes we've made so far (e.g. moving 'id'
to Element, getting rid of the animated class stuff from SVG), before we
start making even more changes on this front. That seems reasonable.

Anyway, whenever this gets added to Element, I'll remove it from
HTMLElement.