[whatwg] Proposal:Improve internationalization in the autocomplete attribute

Albert Bodenhamer abodenha at chromium.org
Mon Jul 8 16:43:19 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 5:05 AM, Lara Rennie <lararennie at google.com> wrote:

> 2013/7/2 Albert Bodenhamer <abodenha at chromium.org>
>
>> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 6:04 AM, Lara Rennie <lararennie at google.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry about the slow response, I was out on holiday.
>>>
>>> Re the CEDEX: it is a postal-code like thing, but it can't go in the
>>> postal-code field, or formatting would be bizarre; as pointed out, it
>>> should go after the locality field. However, if it was entered in the
>>> locality field, certain systems may complain about validation, anyone
>>> interested in aggregating data will start to get a lot of duplicate
>>> localities etc.
>>>
>>> It's also not just France - many ex-French colonies use this too.
>>>
>>> The Google Address Widget does actually accept CEDEX as a separate
>>> field; but you won't see this in most use-cases, because often the widget
>>> is used to collect a physical address (and then they disallow it), or it's
>>> used to give an address to a credit-card company (who are US based, and
>>> don't understand it or want things they don't understand...)
>>>

>> Thanks Lara.  So if browsers ask for CEDEX as a separate optional field
>> and then append it to "locality" when filling would that be acceptable?  I
>> think that's where the spec is right now.
>>

> I don't know if the merchants would expect this? Especially if they did
> want a separate field?

Makes sense to me to break it out then.

> What if they are using the (open-sourced) Google Address Widget?

Good point.  I know Google forms use it extensively and others can too.  I
don't think it's currently marked with autocomplete attributes, but it
would be great if it were.

>>> Re the physical vs. mailing: This is not for postal addresses, but more
>>> in the case of "I want to go somewhere in real life" -> in this case, we
>>> don't want the military "states" to be allowed, or PO Box 123 addresses. I
>>> would assume that the user, when setting up their addresses, would indicate
>>> whether they do or do not represent a physical location (assuming that a
>>> user can set up multiple addresses - it sounds like they can, based on the
>>> shipping vs. billing things)
>>>

>> This sounds like something a browser could do if they wanted, but that
>> doesn't need to be part of the spec.
>>

> I guess I was just meaning; if a site can use the spec to say "please
> autocomplete with a shipping address for this user" then they could also
> use it to say "please autocomplete with a physical location for this user".
> But just an idea. Just because you might have two localities: one which is
> your post-town, and one which is your actual physical location. But
> "shipping" might cover this sufficiently.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on this one. It sounds potentially
useful, but I don't know if it's useful enough to justify addition to the
spec.