[whatwg] Script preloading

Alex Russell slightlyoff at google.com
Thu Jul 11 14:18:18 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Kyle Simpson <getify at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still going to respond, in detail, with code comparisons, to Jake's
> suggestions that the other proposals besides mine handle all my stated
> use-cases.
>
> However, before I do that, just to document for posterity, I just recalled
> another use-case which is a feature very frequently requested of LABjs, but
> is impossible with the current web platform. It's so common, I'm not sure
> why I forgot it in the other list, except perhaps sheer exhaustion.
>

> 12: Use-case: you have a string of scripts ("A.js", "B.js", and "C.js")
> must run before C.
>
> However, if you detect an error in loading, you stop the rest of the
> executions (and preferably loading too!), since clearly dependencies will
> fail for further scripts, and the errors will just unnecessarily clutter
> the developer console log making it harder to debug.

How is this any different from the case today when <script> elements are
fetched and run in the situation where one 404's?

And why is the fix not a "stop on first script error" devtools option
rather than a change to the intrinsics for loading? This is the usual
recourse for most debuggers. Or are you saying we should be able to detect
(via HTTP status code? some other mechanism?) that a script load as
"failed" before we even attempt to run the code which might depend on it?

I'm unsure how any of this is apropos to the debate at hand. Changes to
this proposal seem entirely the wrong place to be dealing with this sort of
failure/recovery issue.