[whatwg] Stack trace in window.onerror

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 14:51:19 PDT 2013

On 7/12/13, James Greene <james.m.greene at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ian —

Hi James -

I've interleaved, combined with your top post below.

> I'm curious: would do you say that?  All evergreen browsers already include
> a `stack` property on their core `Error` prototypes, so it seems to me that
> the only thing preventing us from getting that useful information for
> unhandled errors is the fact that `window.onerror` does not provide us with
> a real Error object instances (or even fake ones with shell properties in
> the case of cross-domain errors).
>
> If I'm mistaken, please clarify.  Thanks!

That's my understanding.  This issue has come up a number of times,
for at least 10 years, so I'm surprised at Ian's answer as well.

Problem regarding getting the Error from window.onerror.

>> > The current information passed to window.onerror rarely provides
>> > sufficient information to find the cause of the error. The column
>> > number
>> > argument will be a big step forward, but a stack trace would be
>> > especially useful. I would like to add my support for improving the
>> > window.onerror arguments, with a fifth argument for stack trace. Is
>> > there anything that James or I could do to move this discussion along?

Ian's reply:
>> This seems useful, but I don't think it's specific to window.onerror. I
>> would recommend approaching the es-discuss list about this.

Is there a proposal on es-discuss that addresses this "global error
stack" situation?

Thanks,
--
Garrett