[whatwg] Feature Request for the-video-element to support audiochannel descriptions

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 18:07:09 PDT 2013

Note that Mozilla have introduced .mozChannels for this:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/HTMLMediaElement .

The Web Audio API have created what is called an AudioNode, which
includes the number of channels:
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/webaudio/specification.html#AudioNode-section
There is a whole section on how to do up/down mixing:
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/webaudio/specification.html#UpMix-section

You need to use createMediaElementSource  to get an
MediaElementAudioSourceNode which is a kind of AudioNode and should
thus have a channelCount attribute.
(see http://updates.html5rocks.com/2012/02/HTML5-audio-and-the-Web-Audio-API-are-BFFs
for an example)

Is this too much mucking around to just get information about the
channel count of an audio track? I don't know... I guess if every use
case involves manipulating audio, then the use of the Web Audio API is
appropriate. If it's just to display to users more information about
the quality of their media files... maybe this is overkill and a
simpler interface directly on HTMLMediaElement like .mozChannels would
be better.

Silvia.