[whatwg] Alignment of empty buttons

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 19 16:11:22 PDT 2013

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> The question you are really asking is "where is the baseline of the
> button?", right?
>
> Gecko puts the baseline of the button at the baseline of the button's
> text, and if the button is not auto-height the extra height is added (or
> removed) equally from above and below the text.
>
> It looks like Chrome dev does the same unless there's no text in the
> button, in which case they put the baseline at the bottom margin edge
> (more inline-block-like behavior?).

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Christian Biesinger wrote:

> Hm, but I don't think that's completely correct, because then the
> positioning should stay the same when I start entering text in the
> button, right? Or does adding text make the text run have height,
> affecting where the extra height gets added?
>
> I think what you are saying is: in Gecko, baseline of a button is
> (content_box_height - text_height) / 2 + text_ascent

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> If I recall exactly how this code works, if there is no text then the
> baseline goes at the bottom of the (empty) content box and then the
> extra height is added on both sides.  Once you have text the baseline
> goes on the baseline of the text, which is slightly above the bottom of
> the content box to allow for descenders.

The spec claims that:

# When the button binding applies to a button element, the element is
# expected to render as an 'inline-block' box rendered as a button whose
# contents are the contents of the element.

What this means exactly...

   http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/2413

I think the buttons and the divs in this example should basically have the
same dimensions and positions (colours might differ). Nobody seems to
quite agree, but I can't work out what they're doing exactly (or why). The
spec seems like a pretty sane middle ground, though.