[whatwg] Forms-related feedback

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 17:36:38 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
>> Ian, has *any* implementer expressed a preference for implementing a
>> picker which allows selecting date+time+timezone? I.e. one that
>> returns UTC dates?
>
> The Gmail time-picker (when you indicate that you want to set
> timezones), gives you three things next to each other, for date, time,
> and timezone.
>
> These are all right next to each other - whether they're separate or
> combined widgets isn't observable unless you check out the code.

The iCal one allows for selecting a specific time zone and a
"floating" one (which is what is currently called "local"):
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/Understanding_iCal_Time_Zones

I actually think we need to distinguish between local and floating time zones.

When using datetime-local, I would actually expect that the browser
picks the local timezone as the default time zone, so doesn't expose a
timezone entry in the UI. The value that is returned by the form,
however, actually has a timezone.

In contrast, when the app doesn't want a timezone, the developer
should probably use something like datetime-floating. Then, it's clear
that the time zone is actually left off of the returned value, too.

Silvia.