[whatwg] Challenging canvas.supportsContext

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jul 31 11:05:26 PDT 2013

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, Benoit Jacob wrote:

> Ping --- I thought that there was sufficient agreement in this thread,
> around the fact that supportsContext, as currently spec'd and currently
> implementable, is a feature without a valid use case, that removing it
> from the spec is the right thing to do at this point.

It's on my list of e-mail to get to. Sorry about the delay. I'm currently
about six months behind on feedback that isn't blocked on other things.

In this particular case, I should note that we have at least one
implementation, and we have no alternative solution to the problem for
which the feature was added. So it's not as clear cut as it might seem.

(Note that decisions for WHATWG specs aren't made based on consensus. Even
if everyone agrees on something, if there's one more compelling argument
to the contrary, that's the one that's going to "win".)