[whatwg] inputmode attribute

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jun 6 13:54:43 PDT 2013

On Wed, 29 May 2013, Takayoshi Kochi (æ²³å~F~E é~Z~Fä»~A) wrote:

> We work on W3C IME API (http://www.w3.org/TR/ime-api/) and we got
> comment from Microsoft people that it would be nice to have inputmode
> attribute in conjunction with the API.
>
> Currently the inputmode attribute is spec'ed as
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/association-of-controls-and-forms.html#input-modalities:-the-inputmode-attribute
>
> But the mode looks somewhat sparse. In the Microsoft's proposal, more
> modalities are populated:
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ime-api/raw-file/tip/proposals/IMEProposal.html#inputmode-attribute
>
> Can we discuss the change here to get this proposal merged to the spec?

I'm happy to add more values to inputmode="" if they correspond to actual
input modalities in real products (e.g. iOS, Windows, or Android). What
are the values being proposed, exactly, and what modalities to they
correspond to?

On Wed, 29 May 2013, Mounir Lamouri wrote:

> A couple of months ago I sent some feedback regarding inputmode [1]

I apologise for not having yet processed this feedback (I've been mostly
focusing on the bugs these past few months; I hope to get back to e-mails
soonish). I'll look at it momentarily.

On Fri, 31 May 2013, Takayoshi Kochi (æ²³å~F~E é~Z~Fä»~A) wrote:

> I'd hope people from Microsoft join this discussion, but from our
> perspective we agree that we would like to go with mode and script
> separately.

If everyone wants them split, and that's what gets implemented, then
that's what should be specced, too.