[whatwg] Should <video controls> generate click events?

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Thu Jun 27 01:51:15 PDT 2013

In a discussion about a "click to play/pause" feature for Opera on
Android, the issue of click event handlers came up.[1] The problem is that
pages can do things like this:

v.onclick = function() {
   if (v.paused) {
     v.play();
   } else {
     v.pause();
   }
   // no preventDefault()
}

I created a demo [2] and it is indeed the case that this makes <video
controls> unusable in both Presto and Chromium based browsers. Simon
Pieters has brought this up before, but the spec wasn't changed at that
point.[3]

While my demo may be on the hypothetical side, we do want users to be able
to bring up the native controls via a context menu and be able to use them
regardless of what the page does in its event handlers. So, I request that
the spec be explicit that interacting with the video controls does not
cause the normal script-visible events to be fired.

[1] https://codereview.chromium.org/17391015
[2] http://people.opera.com/~philipj/click.html
[3]
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2011-June/031916.html
(search for "As with the post Simon cites above")

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Opera Software