[whatwg] Request: Implementing a Geo Location URI Scheme

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Jun 5 02:56:14 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-05 00:25, Rodrigo Polo wrote:
> I really don't want to fight over any issue, I, as a user, want to share
> with you the current state on this topic and (as I said on the letter) with
> "a friendly open letter in the pursuit to make a polite request to make the
> life of millions easier" give you some of the reasons why I think it should
> be implemented ASAP.
>
> I already checked this proposed specs:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5870
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes/uri-schemes.xml
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/UriSchemes
>
> But my experience waiting for many browsers implementations tell me the
> process is slow and it looks like it works by the interest of each brand, I
> really feel sorry for the "Web SQL Database" spec that was later removed, I
> really hope the "geo" URI scheme could be implemented.
>
> I know the "registerProtocolHandler" but it doesn't work exactly as
> proposed, "geo" "protocol" isn't accepted on Chrome, only "protocols" with
> the "web-" prefix and the URL parameter have to match the webpage that make
> the request, it is designed for websites, not for local apps, all this
> conclusions made by the tests I have done with the latest beta of Chrome
> and FireFox:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/navigator.registerProtocolHandler
> http://updates.html5rocks.com/2012/02/Getting-Gmail-to-handle-all-mailto-links-with-registerProtocolHandler
>
> Again, thanks for your attention and help.

Not sure what kind of browser support you are looking for.

If you want to "geo" URIs to invoke a local mapping application, all you
need is to install an URI handler fort that scheme and that application
in the *operating system*. This is how things like mailto: have been
working for two decades now.

Best regards, Julian