[whatwg] use cases for <figure> without <figcaption>?

Steve Faulkner faulkner.steve at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 03:00:25 PDT 2013

Hi Xaxio, (and martin)

i get why figure on its own is OK.

I think that it's OK to use the figure/figcaption pattern on any image (for
example) that the author wants to provide a caption for.

The use case being: I want to provide some text as a caption for some other
content.

It is unclear to me (at least) whether the whatwg spec says that is OK or
not.

the latest (single page) whatwg spec says:

"The figure element represents some flow content, optionally with a
caption, that is self-contained (like a complete sentence) and is typically
referenced as a single unit from the main flow of the document."

There is no normative text that says it MUST be referenced, only a non
normative phrase "typically referenced"

so that suggests to me that it is OK to use figure/figcaption for the use
case i described and the one you described, but then the there is a lot of
other descriptive text about figure that serves to befuddle my
understanding.

note: the whatwg spec and the w3c html spec which you referenced currently
differ on figure, the proposed changes in the whatwg spec are under
discussion in the html wg.

--

Regards

SteveF