Steve Faulkner faulkner.steve at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 02:17:37 PDT 2013

Hi Xaxio

On 21 June 2013 15:59, Xaxio Brandish <xaxiobrandish at gmail.com> wrote:

Steve,

> Please permit me to change the subject line since the topic no longer
> answers the subject question?

thanks!

> The next sentence in the WHATWG spec [1] states
>
> The element can thus be used to annotate illustrations, diagrams, photos,
>> code listings, etc, that are *referred to from the main content of the
>> document*
>>
> (italics mine)
>
> It's true that there is no text saying that the <figure> element MUST be
> used a certain way, but there are two sentences saying how it "typically"
> or "can" be used, both implying a reference from a document.

OK so 'typically' infers that <figure> is used in this way, from a recent
review of data (June 2013 data set from http://webdevdata.org) on usage of
<figure> it appears that it is typically not used in this way by authors.
There are typically no explicit references to figure content.

 Here are some examples of pages using figure/figcaption. (also appears
that figure is often used without figcaption: figcaption instances in
sample of 53000 pages = 4603 , figure usage = 14609, indicating approx 1 in
3 uses of figure includes a figcaption)

   - Mirror Online <http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/>
   - Christian News on Christian Today <http://www.christiantoday.com/>
   - Infonews <http://www.infonews.com/>
   - Peru.com,  <http://peru.com/>
   - Computer Arts magazine <http://www.computerarts.co.uk/>
   -  Elle <http://www.elle.it/>
   - NASCAR.com <http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series.html>
   - Indiatimes: <http://www.indiatimes.com/>
   - Bollywood Mantra <http://www.bollywoodmantra.com/>
   - Teen Vogue <http://teenvogue.com/>
   - Irish Independent <http://www.independent.ie/>
   - bitbucket <https://bitbucket.org/>
   - HELLO! Online <http://www.hellomagazine.com/>
   - Mobile App Tracking <http://mobileapptracking.com/>
   - Consumer Complaint
Database<http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaintdatabase/>
   - AS.com <http://as.com/>

> One part of the ambiguity in the WHATWG spec comes from the examples given:
>
> 1) The first example uses <figure> as referenced from a document.
> 2) The second example is not referenced from a document.
> 3) The third example shows an image that is not a figure, followed by two
> pieces of media content that are within <figure> tags.  The non-figure
> image could not be removed from its position in the document flow without
> changing the meaning of the document, so it is not used as a <figure>
> element.
> 4) The fourth example is not referenced from a document.
> 5) The final two examples are implied to be referenced from a document,
> and are semantically equivalent.
>
> Since we cannot know the surrounding document for examples 2 and 4, it
> seems that those examples take advantage of the open-ended adaptability of
> the unreferenced version of the <figure> element.

agree that current examples are lacking and do not serve to illustrate
intended use of figure/figcaption

> Part of the semantics of HTML come from *author intent* and *reasonable
> expectation*.  If we see a <table> element, we can expect tabular data.
> If we see an <li> element, we can expect that it is one of multiple.

see stats above, author intent in real world use does not appear to match
expectations. for the majority of users the use of figure/figcaption makes
not difference they don't even know its there. For users of assistive
technology in combination with browser that actually map the figure and
figcaption elements to something useful they are aware that the the content
of the figure is a distinct group and hat the caption for the group is (if
provided), the theoretical capability of figure to be moved away from its
current position is just that.

> This leaves us with the question at hand: if we see a <figure> element,
> can we expect to find a part of the document from which it is referenced?
> Consider the following scenario:
>
> One is reading an online newspaper article.  The article references Figure
> 1, located at the end of the article (and near the bottom of the page) due
> to readability constraints.  We look at the end of the article, and see a
> figure with a caption "Figure 1".  The article then references "Figure 2",
> so we look at the end of the article and see a figure with a caption,
> "Figure 2".  We arrive at the end of the article and see another figure
> with a caption, "Figure 3".
>
> In the above scenario, Figure 3 is unreferenced.  The first instinct when
> looking at an unreferenced figure (as used in the scenario) is to examine
> the figure to attempt to establish a context for it.  Whether or not
> context is established, the second instinct is almost invariably to go back
> to the part of the article after Figure 2 was referenced in order to find
> out where we missed the reference to Figure 3.  A third, slightly lesser
> instinct may even prompt a review of the entire article in an effort to
> find the missing reference.
>
> It is possible that the author of the fabled online newspaper article
> needed to use a visible caption, and could not find a better element for
> the job than <figure> and <figcaption>.  It is not obvious whether the
> article was edited incorrectly, whether there was a printing error, or
> whether the unreferenced figure was intended to stand alone.
>
> I propose that unreferenced figures set unreasonable expectation, as just
> described, and that either

from looking at real world data (see above) i couldn't actually find any
uses of figure/figcaption as you describe.

> 1) more generic grouping content should be used to group unreferenced data
> with captions, or
> 2) a new element be created similar to <label> with an attribute similar
> to the "for" attribute that is not required to be located within a user
> interface such as form, or
> 3) a new set of elements similar to <figure> and <figcaption> be created
> to group unreferenced data.

I don't think there is any need to add new features, but do think that
figure/figcaption definitions and explanations of use need to be modified
to take into account cow paths already trodden.