[whatwg] [html][webcomponents]: Link element in body?

Brian Kardell bkardell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 08:18:53 PDT 2013

Section 4.2.4 of the HTML Standard[1] contains a note:
"Note: If the rel attribute is used, the element is restricted to the
head element. When used with the itemprop attribute, the element can
be used both in the head element and in the body of the page, subject
to the constraints of the microdata model."

However, all modern browsers at least seem to respect/treat rel link
elements in the body as most developers would expect (ie, they work
just fine).

Given that this would appear to be a de-facto standard and that is to
some extent the goal of the spec (documenting what _is_ actually
standard), I'm curious as to the discrepancy... Can someone (Hixie
maybe) explain?  Is it worth opening a bug or am I missing something
important?

1. http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-link-element