[whatwg] Question about document.referrer (and document.URL, document.location.href) when IDN domains are in use

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 20 19:46:15 PDT 2013

The spec for document.referrer says:

   The referrer attribute must return the document's referrer.

The "document's referrer" is not really defined anywhere in a useful way
that I can find.

This then follows with a non-normative note:

    Note: In the case of HTTP, the referrer IDL attribute will match the
    Referer (sic) header that was sent when fetching the current page.

In cases when the hostname is non-ASCII, the Referer header will have it
encoded in punycode.  The question is what should happen for
document.referrer.  Right now, I see the following behavior:

1)  Gecko shows exactly the string we put on the wire in
document.referrer (punycode and all).  document.URL and
document.location.href show the non-ASCII chars in some cases.

2)  WebKit (or at least Chrome) seems to return punycode for all three
of these.

3)  Opera seems to return non-ASCII chars for all three of these, at
least in some cases.

No idea what IE does.

The question is whether it's more important for document.referrer to
match the HTTP header (so the note will actually be true) or
location.href and .URL...  Well, and the other question is what .URL and
location.href should return, since clearly we don't exactly have interop
there.

-Boris