[whatwg] Adding a btoa overload that takes Uint8Array

Joshua Bell jsbell at chromium.org
Mon Mar 4 10:04:26 PST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> The problem I'm trying to solve is sending Unicode text to consumers who
> need base64-encoded input.  Right now the only "sane" way to do it (and I
> quote "sane" for obvious reasons) is something like the example at
> https://developer.mozilla.org/**en-US/docs/DOM/window.btoa#**
> Unicode_Strings<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/DOM/window.btoa#Unicode_Strings>
>
> It seems like it would be better if the output of a TextEncoder could be
> passed directly to btoa.  But for that we need an overload of btoa that
> takes a Uint8Array.

FYI, I believe the last iteration on this topic ended with this message:

http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2012-June/036372.html

i.e. consensus that base64 should stay out of the Encoding API, but that it
would be nice to have some form of base64 / Typed Array conversion API. But
there were no concrete proposals beyond my strawman in that post.

So: agreed, have at it!