[whatwg] Fetch: networking tasks

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Mar 4 12:14:05 PST 2013

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> So in the grand rewrite of fetch I wonder:
>
> 1) How does HTML distinguish for which fetch the tasks are queued?

How do you mean?

> 2) How do we deal with tasks for uploading data? Currently fetch only
> deals with processing incoming data, not outgoing.

Why would you need tasks for uploading?

> In both these cases, how do we either allow the caller to filter or
> filter for caller?

Not sure what you mean.

> Caller APIs are generally not interested in redirects, e.g. progress
> events are for the response entity body, not any number of redirects
> that preceded receiving that. Upload progress events are only ever
> transmitted after a CORS preflight completed.

Doesn't the current prose already handle all this?

> Also, is the networking task source exclusively used for fetch? Should
> we rename it then (harhar)?

It's used by various things, seach for "is the networking task source" in
the HTML spec. e.g. "update the session history with the new page" uses
it. Basically, anything that needs to be ordered relative to network
activity rather than DOM activity.