[whatwg] Enabling LCD Text and antialiasing in canvas

Stephen White senorblanco at chromium.org
Mon Mar 11 11:53:46 PDT 2013

Here's a first draft of a proposal to standardize moz-opaque.  (Note that
Firefox/Linux and Firefox/Win differ in their implementation of moz-opaque.
 This proposal is most similar to the Firefox/Linux implementation, but
with the canvas cleared to opaque black as in the Firefox/Win version).

Motivation:  Compositing a <canvas> element into the page can be expensive,
due to blending operations, and lack of opportunity for culling.  Since
arbitrary graphics operations can affect the opacity of the canvas, it is
difficult to determine programmatically whether the canvas is opaque.
 Allowing the developer to explicitly mark a canvas as opaque allows the
user agent to optimize blending at page composite time, as well as culling
obscured elements behind the canvas.

The "opaque" attribute is a boolean attribute of the canvas element, whose
presence indicates that the alpha values in the canvas backing store must
be ignored when compositing the canvas into the page.  If the attribute is
not present, or if parsing its value returns an error, then the default
value (false) must be used instead.

When a canvas has the opaque attribute, the backing store must be
initialized to opaque black (rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0)), instead of transparent
black (rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0)).  Changing or removing the attribute after
initialization causes the canvas to be cleared to the appropriate value.

All other canvas functionality behaves as normal, including operations
which modify the alpha values of the backing store.  However, any such
transparency values will be ignored when compositing the canvas into the
page, and the canvas will be treated as if every pixel has an alpha of 1.0.

Stephen