[whatwg] Enabling LCD Text and antialiasing in canvas

Stephen White senorblanco at chromium.org
Tue Mar 12 10:03:32 PDT 2013

Here's a draft of proposal (1) above:

Motivation:  Compositing a <canvas> element into the page can be expensive,
due to blending operations, and lack of opportunity for culling.  Since
arbitrary graphics operations can affect the opacity of the canvas, it is
difficult to determine programmatically whether the canvas is opaque.
 Allowing the developer to explicitly mark a canvas as opaque allows the
user agent to optimize blending at page composite time, as well to cull
fully-obscured elements behind the canvas.

The "opaque" attribute is a boolean attribute of the canvas element, whose
presence indicates that the alpha values in the canvas backing store must
be 1.0 at all times.  All canvas operations are modified to preserve this
invariant.  If the "opaque" attribute is not present, or if parsing its
value returns an error, then the default value (false) must be used instead.

When a canvas has the opaque attribute, the backing store must be
initialized to opaque black (rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0)), instead of transparent
black (rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0)).  Setting, changing, removing or setting the
attribute redundantly to its existing value causes the canvas to be cleared
to the appropriate value.

When a canvas has the opaque attribute, clearRect() clears to opaque black
instead of transparent black.

The behaviour of putImageData() and putImageDataHD() when a canvas has the
opaque attribute is to premultiply the RGB components by the alpha
component as usual, but write 1.0 into destination alpha.  In other words,
if (r, g, b, a) are the component values in a given pixel passed to
putImageData[HD](), then r' = ar, g' = ag, b' = ab are the colour
components of the resulting canvas pixel, and (r', g', b', 1.0) is written
to the canvas backing store.

When a canvas has the opaque attribute, all globalCompositeOperation modes
behave as normal and the resulting RGB components are written to the canvas
backing store, but the alpha component is left unchanged at 1.0.

Stephen