[whatwg] Fetch: number of tasks queued

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 13 07:52:48 PDT 2013

> For the "data:text/html," case Gecko reports both 2 and 4. For
> "data:text/html,test" you get 2, 3 test, 4 test. Chrome/Safari
> dispatch 4 (without test) and then throw mentioning a synchronous
> request. Seems very much like an implementation bug. IE10 throws on
> the open() call which is a bug too. I'm leaning towards just reporting
> 4 for data/about as all the data is already in.

Why do you think it's in?

In gecko all fetch activity is always asynchronous, independent of URL
scheme.  Furthermore, the network layer can chunk up the "data
available" callbacks however it wants to ease implementation.  Nothing
requires it to keep data: in a single flat buffer.

I'm strongly opposed to creating scheme-based special cases here based
on assumptions about implementation techniques.

-Boris