[whatwg] Enabling LCD Text and antialiasing in canvas

Stephen White senorblanco at chromium.org
Thu Mar 14 07:20:34 PDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Gregg Tavares <gman at google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Gregg Tavares <gman at google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems like an opaque canvas should be an orthogonal issue to
>>> subpixel-aa. Subpixel AA seems like it should be a Canvas2DRenderingContext
>>> setting though maybe with a name like
>>>
>>>    ctx.antialiasingRenderQuality =
>>>
>>> With options of
>>>
>>>    none
>>>    grayscale
>>>    bestForDeviceIfAxisAlignedAndNotScaledOrBlended
>>>

> My mistake. They should be
>
>     none
>     alpha
>
> bestForDeviceIfNotCanvasIsNotRotatedAndCanvasIsNotScaledAndCanvasIsOpaque

Don't forget
AndCanvasIsNotFilteredAndCanvasIsNotDrawnViaWebGLThroughAShaderWhichModifiesFragmentColour.
 :)

(And actually, this name sort of leads me to believe the opposite:  that
the API will take care of these cases for me, and I don't have to worry
about them.)

Naming aside, this is basically the proposal from message #1 in this thread
(and mine from partway through).  The objections were that this is a
footgun with which web developers should not be trusted.  For the record, I
don't agree with that assessment.  However, since it seemed that moz-opaque
had at least some chance of being implemented by other browser vendors, and
provides a generally useful optimization, I was pursuing that approach
instead.