[whatwg] Hide placeholder on input controls on focus

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 02:40:57 PDT 2013

2013/3/20 Markus Ernst <derernst at gmx.ch>:
> Am 20.03.2013 02:20 schrieb Kit Grose:
>>
>> In almost every case the placeholder remains visible until the user has
>> begun typing, as I strongly believe it ought to be remain in the
>> specification, since it provides the contextual hint for as long as
>> possible.
>
> Do you refer to author implementations via scripting? As in Opera and IE 10,
> the placeholder gets hidden when the field is focused; thus, regarding
> browser implementations, the "almost every case" refers to Firefox, Chrome,
> and some versions of Safari.

Opera is not consistent with this behavior
1) On webpages is hides placeholder on focus
2) In it's UI it hides placeholder on start of typing (address bar,
search engine, speed dial)

If user can write address (in the UI) despite placeholder being
displayed during focus, I find it weird, the same can be confusing on
a web page :|

--
Rafał