[whatwg] Fetch: crossorigin="anonymous" and XMLHttpRequest

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Wed Mar 20 09:54:08 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
>> I don't think that that is a particularly convincing argument since there is
>> no confused deputy problem here, and if a website is making security
>> decisions based on referrer headers even when there are no other identifying
>> signals, then that website is a lost cause.
>
> Not if the referring URL was a capability, which I think might have
> been the point.

I don't understand what that means. Could you explain?

>> In other words, I see no new attack vectors being introduced, but I do see
>> additional value, if we keep the referrer.
>
> You do know there are efforts to making Referer obsolete within
> Mozilla so to leak less information about the user?

My argument isn't to force having a referrer here. My argument is to
follow the same policies for referrer as for other requests.

I don't think keeping the referrer anonymous XHR requests is going to
materially change the ability to adjust these policies in general.

That said, allowing both anonymous and non-anonymous requests to do
xhr.setRequestHeader("referer", "") might be a good idea. I.e. being
able to set it explicitly to the empty string.

/ Jonas