[whatwg] Allowing authors to obtain a vertical <input type=range>

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Mar 29 10:27:37 PDT 2013

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, Jonathan Watt wrote:

> The result of the discussion here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/mid/514A17D4.3070806@jwatt.org
>
> is that I've changed Firefox Nightly's handling of <input type=range> to
> allow it to render as a vertical slider if it has an orient="vertical"
> attribute on it. There was only one reply to my email to www-style, but
> the author suggested using an attribute which I'd also concluded was the
> best thing to do.
>
> I'd like to propose that this attribute be added to the HTML5
> specification.

It seems like a very medium-specific attribute.

Why wouldn't this be a CSS issue? That's the layer of the Web platform
where we put presentationa-specific things.

But in this particular case, why do we need authors to explicitly say
anything about the direction? Why can't you just be vertical if you're
tall, and horizontal if you're wide? I don't understand why anyone would
ever want a tall horizontal slider.

If you're making proprietary pseudo-elements for parts of the slider while
waiting for Web Components to be ready to do this, just have different
pseudos for the two orientations.