[whatwg] HTML differences from HTML4 document updated

Xaxio Brandish xaxiobrandish at gmail.com
Fri May 3 12:46:28 PDT 2013

> No, it only says *that* it uses "HTML" to refer to "the W3C HTML5
> specification, W3C HTML5.1 specification, and the WHATWG HTML standard".
> *Why* it does so is not addressed at all

You are correct.  The "why" is something that should be addressed.  Perhaps
the document could read:

This document covers the W3C HTML5 specification, W3C HTML5.1
> specification, and the WHATWG HTML standard. In order to simplify the
> readability of this document, these are referred to as if they were a
> single specification: "the HTML specification" or simply "HTML" when
> something applies equally to all of them; otherwise, they are called out
> explicitly.

The WHATWG differentiates, when necessary, by describing the constantly
evolving version of HTML as the "HTML Living Standard".  The "HTML" that
you describe is this HTML -- it does not refer to specific versions, but
the overall language as it stands currently.

The topical document is good to have as a learning tool, and to broaden the
understanding of when (and sometimes why) certain changes were made between
HTML and one of its previous subversions.

As the WHATWG specification [1] states,

There are numerous differences between this specification (the HTML Living
> Standard) and the W3C version, some minor, some major. Unfortunately these
> are not currently accurately documented anywhere, so there is no way to
> know which are intentional and which are not.

If you believe that documenting the (constantly evolving) differences
between HTML and its HTML5 and HTML5.1 subsets would be relevant, please do
so!  It would be a great thing to be able to reference such a document.

--Xaxio