[whatwg] suggestions for the Notifications API (http://notifications.spec.whatwg.org/)

Andrew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Sun May 5 00:56:41 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp <
nils at dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:

> alonn <alonisser at gmail.com> schrieb am Fri, 3 May 2013 18:50:36 +0300:
>
> > 1. Having a way to check for the current permission without
> > initiating a new Notification object first. something like webkit has
> > (I'm not sure it's not deprecated)
> > window.webkitNotification.checkPermission() I saw this isn't in the
> > api, and I think having this would be a great
>
> Scenario: “You need to enable notifications to view this web site.”
>
> With less sarcasm: I think this can and will be horribly abused.

To be clear, this capability exists in the current API. We've basically
discussed this permission flow to death already, and have come to consensus
around why having an explicit permission flow is needed to address key use
cases. Do you have a new use (or abuse) scenario that this group has not
considered previously?

> --
> Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
> <http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>

---
Google Germany GmbH
Dienerstr. 12
80331 München

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Katherine Stephens