[whatwg] HTML differences from HTML4 document updated

Gordon P. Hemsley gphemsley at gmail.com
Tue May 7 07:37:21 PDT 2013

Simon,

I think it would be good to consider the target audiences, of which
there are probably many:

You have the audience who is worried that HTML5 is some grand
departure from the HTML 4.01 they (think they) know and love. For
them, you'll want to describe what exactly has been removed and why,
instilling the idea of a separation between semantic and
presentational markup.

Then you have the audience that is excited to see what they can do now
with HTML5 that they couldn't do with HTML 4.01. For them, you'd list
the new elements and attributes and such.

Then you probably have some other incidentals such as things that were
removed or changed just because they were never implemented or people
never used them. These probably don't fall into either of the two
categories above.

But you also have another issue to consider: For this document, the
difference between the W3C's concept of specification snapshots and
WHATWG's concept of a living standard is not trivial. For the former,
you can have snapshot documents detailing the differences between each
snapshot specification; for the latter, you need a living document
that is anchored by a fixed point at one end (HTML 4.01).

This raises the question of the purpose of this document: Is it to
simplify the transition from HTML 4.01 to HTML5+? Or is it to act as
an HTML changelog from here on out? Because I think attempting to do
both within a single document will become unwieldy as time goes on.

Regards,
Gordon

--
Gordon P. Hemsley