[whatwg] [mimesniff] An alternative approach to section 9 of Mime Sniffing

Peter Occil poccil14 at gmail.com
Fri May 24 22:58:11 PDT 2013

What I think is that even if an ABNF won't be the normative definition of a
syntax format, it can help put the format's syntax into a higher-level
perspective and aid understanding of its syntax: once we understand, for
example, what the Content-Type header field value ought to contain, in the
form of an ABNF or in some other way, it will be easier to write processing
rules for that field value in the spec.  (Right now I'm in the process of
rewriting section 5 of the MIME sniffing spec.)

Take the WebVTT spec for example.  For each part of the WebVTT format
there's a definition of what that part contains in terms of characters, and
the actual processing rules for parsing that part.  For example, the
definition for "WebVTT cue timings" and the algorithm to "collect WebVTT cue
timings and settings." The definition aids understanding of the syntax for
WebVTT cue timings and informs how the rules for collecting WebVTT cue
timings are written in the WebVTT spec.

--Peter