[whatwg] pagehide for pages going in to the page cache (was "pagehide vs pagevis")

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Wed May 29 13:27:53 PDT 2013

Spinning this off as it’s become tangential to my original message:

On May 29, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> On 5/29/13 2:25 PM, Brady Eidson wrote:
>>> So what happens when script calls dispatchEvent on a node that's in a
>>> document that's in your page cache?
>>
>> I believe the design is “nothing.”
>
> That's a spec violation, then: there are no provisions in any DOM spec for dispatchEvent on an EventTarget not actually dispatching the event.

It seems like there’s room for exploration here - Perhaps my test case was not testing what you’re actually suggesting.  Does Mozilla have a test for this that I could explore in WebKit?

Are you saying that if a live page sends an event to a node whose Document is in the page cache that the event is handled referring to a dormant document and all of its dormant resources?

If so, I can say that the design goals for your page cache and ours are radically different.

~Brady