[whatwg] Questions regarding Path object

Jussi Kalliokoski jussi.kalliokoski at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 12:12:54 PST 2013

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/path_1?q=path

> 1) A Path is following a track.
> 2) Drawing is actually putting something visual on a surface.
>
> The former is true, the latter is not. Since the Path is not drawing
anything but is just a simple representation of segments, the term
“drawing” is misleading. Then it seems to be a verb, even though the
segment representation isn’t doing anything.

> I know, I am not helping with that. Seriously, I do not believe that the
first thing crossing the mind of randomly asked people on Path is file
structure or URL.

Actually I opened this thread out of interest because I thought this was
that this was related to files. In NodeJS the "path" module deals with file
paths, Unix $PATH (which also comes second in Google search for path, where
most results are related to the app) deals with file paths, in Java the
Path class represents a file path and the same in Python. Also if you
Google "Path API", the first page includes no results related to the kind
of paths we're talking about here, but some file-related APIs. In that
light, I'm curious as to what's the reasoning for your belief?

Path is also too generic even in the context of graphics. If we later on
want to add a path object for 3-dimensional paths, you end up with Path and
Path3D? Yay for consistency. Path2D would immediately inform what
dimensions we're dealing with and also that this is to do with graphics,
and thus sounds like a good name to me.

- Jussi