[whatwg] The src-N proposal

matmarquis.com mat at matmarquis.com
Mon Nov 18 08:36:24 PST 2013

On Nov 18, at 10:34 AM, Jirka Kosek wrote:

> On 18.11.2013 14:38, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>
>> we really need to, srcset. The developer community already made
>> significant sacrifices in compromising on picture because of issues
>> that implementers raised about nested elements
>
> Are those issues with nested elements described somewhere? I wasn't able
> to find anything and I would really like to know what the issue was.

Some of the objections involved the character count for the markup pattern (an issue frequently referenced in “authors won’t like this” terms, despite *highly* vocal community support for the pattern), and nebulous references to added implementor complexity when making use of the `source` selection algorithm. I recall that some of the more specific resistance was due to the complication involved in implementing and testing existing media elements, but I can’t claim to understand precisely what manner of browser-internal complications `source` elements brought to the table.

I believe Simon Pieters (zcorpan) had mentioned some of the details at one point—maybe he can clarify further, or direct us to previous post(s) on the subject?