[whatwg] Specify getSVGDocument

Erik Dahlström ed at opera.com
Tue Nov 19 02:31:51 PST 2013

SVG 1.1 Second Edition deprecated .getSVGDocument(), and made it an alias
for .contentDocument essentially yes.

SVG2 has not yet seen any edits related to this method. But it's not
unlikely that SVG2 will drop it given that SVG 1.1 states: "This interface
is deprecated and may be dropped from future versions of the SVG
specification".

It's possible that .getSVGDocument() is still in use due to <embed>
elements not supporting .contentDocument, and people wanting to allow the
use of plugins for svg content in case there was no native svg support in
the browser. This may have changed due to the Adobe SVG plugin not being
supported anymore.

An example:
http://xn--dahlstrm-t4a.net/svg/html/get-embedded-svg-document-script.html
/ed