[whatwg] The src-N proposal

Markus Ernst derernst at gmx.ch
Tue Nov 19 03:13:01 PST 2013

Am 19.11.2013 08:49 schrieb Yoav Weiss:
> If you'd like to further discuss that concern, can you please open up a new
> thread? This one discusses solutions to the responsive images problem
> use-cases (e.g. src-N, picture, srcset, etc)

My personal conclusion of this part of the thread is: The (negative)
bandwidth effect caused by the verbosity of the respImg syntax is
minimal compared to the (positive) bandwith effect achieved by the
actual use of respImgs. Thus, the final solution should be most
understandable and easily applicable by average authors (as I am),
because otherwise authors will either hesitate to use it, or (even
worse) use it incorrectly.

This would IMHO speak against both srcset and src-N approaches, and be
in favor of some <picture>-like approach (again), because it is
human-understandable and DOM-ready HTML.

I am sorry I am not capable of fully understanding all related threads,
but as far as I can get it, all technical issues of this approach seem
to have been stated to be solveable so far.