[whatwg] Implementation question about Notifications

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Tue Nov 19 06:35:52 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Andrew Wilson <atwilson at google.com> wrote:
> I think having them return the empty string would be fine (and would,
> coincidentally, match our current implementation in Chrome).

Okay.

> My one concern is that according to the current spec, "" is a valid |tag|
> and so Notification("title", { tag: ""}) is different than
> Notification(title) because the latter has no tag, while the former has an
> empty tag (and so can be fetched via Notification.get(""))

In https://github.com/whatwg/notifications/commit/0db93b134e71431c9c85787cf5332692778d11cb
I made it so that tag being the empty string is equivalent to a
notification not having a tag. That avoids us having to choose
undefined or null to deal with his manner and gives a string-only API
which seems somewhat convenient.

>> Well, "invalid_icon_url" is not an invalid URL, but if you had used
>> e.g. "http://test:test/" it would have to return the same as n1.
>> n3.icon should return "http://non-existent-icon.com/" per
>> http://notifications.spec.whatwg.org/#dom-notification-icon
>
> Yes, makes sense, taking into account my inability to form an ill-formed URL
> :)

Just to be clear, note that it serializes the URL, hence the trailing
slash. This is similar to how <a>.href and family behave.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/