[whatwg] <picture> redux

Shane Hudson mail at shanehudson.net
Wed Nov 20 16:12:17 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not sure where this belief that src-N doesn't support arbitrary
> MQs comes from.  The syntax doesn't support media *types* (screen,
> print, etc), but media types are being deprecated *anyway*, and we're
> designing new media features that replace them.

Supporting media types (or whatever you're working on to replace them) is
one of the use cases that is in the Use Cases and Requirements document
[1]. I personally also have a particular interest when it comes to
supporting print, it is something that not enough sites (including,
currently, my own) do properly but a surprisingly high number of people do
print off articles, especially technical documents.

So supporting print and other types of media would definitely be an
advantage.

[1]
http://usecases.responsiveimages.org/#h3_matching-media-features-and-media-types