[whatwg] Configurability of document.domain

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 21 05:45:19 PST 2013

> IE10 has configurable set to false too.

IE's behavior here makes no sense.  The property is set
non-configurable, but it's on the prototype, not on the object itself.
So this testcase:

   alert(Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(Document.prototype,
"domain").configurable);
   Object.defineProperty(document, "domain", { value: 5 });
   alert(document.domain);

alerts "false" and then "5" in the IE11 preview, for example.

Either the property should be unforgeable (and then live on the document
object itself and be non-configurable), or it should be on the proto and
configurable (because it can be shadowed anyway, so no point in
disallowing configurability).

> So we have Safari/IE10 vs Firefox/Chrome.

The Safari and IE behaviors are quite different here.

As are the Firefox/Chrome behaviors, actually (in Firefox it's a
configurable accessor on the prototype, but in Chrome it's a
configurable value property on the object itself)...

4 browsers, 4 different behaviors, yay.  ;)

-Boris