[whatwg] IRC and WWW integration proposal

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Oct 14 13:00:58 PDT 2013

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Gryllida wrote:

> Usecase 1: I search for python and see a link to their website in search
> results, and the search engine looks up both title and IRC info - so I
> see webpage title, and a link to its irc network or channel.

There's nothing stopping search engines today from exposing IRC links they
see in Web pages (either in <a> or <link> elements, or indeed elsewhere).
So this is basically possible today.

> Usecase 2: Browsers implement some interface to display IRC channel
> link or window when user visits a page. Advantages:

This should be possible today too.

If the need is a machine-readable link that is explicitly labeled as
specific to the page in some way, then the simplest solution is to mint
some new link rel types, as in:

   <link rel="official-irc-for-site" href="irc://example.com/#mysite">

If there is implementor interest, I recommend registering such a link type
in the link type registry.