[whatwg] onclose events for MessagePort

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Oct 1 11:11:43 PDT 2013

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 10/1/13 1:45 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > Crashing is non-conforming.
>
> That's not useful.

Hence the smiley.

> > How often are we really expecting one tab to be talking to another
> > tab, and then that tab crashes, and the author was able to prepare
> > code to handle that gracefully, in a production environment?
>
> On phones?  We should be expecting the former (tab gets killed) pretty
> often. How often the latter will happen depends on how much we give
> authors in the way of tools to handle it.

How often do we expect two tabs to be talking to each other though? Is
that even possible on phone browsers?

Anyway, I'm happy to support this in principle.

I should correct something I said earlier in this thread. I said
MessagePorts don't have owners. This is incorrect. My apologies.

We could indeed have some message that is sent when the owner goes away.