[whatwg] Stroking algorithm in Canvas 2d

Justin Novosad junov at google.com
Thu Oct 10 15:35:08 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>

>> Sure. We can support these easily if we implement dashing as the spec says
>> now, by just adding the feature Justin suggested: an annotation on the
>> path that says to reset the dash offset.
>

> I didn't see that proposal.

I didn't use the words "reset the dash offset", but that is exactly what I
meant. It ties into what Stephan just explained. Graphic designers want to
have predictable control over the graphic design of the document.

> In Justin's first reply, he asked for a new feature (=aligning dashes)

I didn't use the words "aligning dashes" either, but I think we are all
talking about the same thing.

and agreed that a moveTo should restart the dashes.

Yes. My opinion is that it would be a more predictable and stable behavior
from a graphic design perspective. It avoids undesirable cascading effects
(i.e. tweak something over here, changes something over there).