[whatwg] Namespaces and tag names in the HTML parser

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Sep 13 12:20:57 PDT 2013

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Peter Occil wrote:

> Many of these cases occur in the normative portion of the tree
> construction stage.  Most of them involve checking whether an element
> (as opposed to a tag token) has a certain name:
>
> Accordingly, these cases are ambiguous:
>
> * If foster parenting is enabled and target is a table, tbody, tfoot,
> thead, or tr element
>
> * Let last template be the last template element in the stack of open
> elements, if any.
>
> [...]
>
> * Pop elements from the stack of open elements until a template element
> has been popped from the stack.
>
> * If there is a template element on the stack of open elements, ignore
> the token.
>
> * If the second element on the stack of open elements is not a body
> element, [...] or if there is a template element on the stack of open
> elements, then ignore the token.

All of these hyperlink to the definition of the element and that
definition is of an element in the HTML namespace, as the spec says:

# Except where otherwise stated, all elements defined or mentioned in this
# specification are in the HTML namespace ("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml")

: For example, button elements are elements with the element type button,
: meaning they have the local name "button" and (implicitly as defined
: above) the HTML namespace.

Why do you think the cases above are ambigious, but the following, for
instance, are not?

# The section element represents a generic section of a document or
# application.

# If the target of the click event is an img element [...]

# A form control is disabled if its disabled attribute is set, or if it is
# a descendant of a fieldset element whose disabled attribute is set and
# is not a descendant of that fieldset element's first legend element
# child, if any.

> Moreover, where needed, a shortcut is to use "an HTML so-and-so element"
> rather than "a so-and-so element in the HTML namespace".  (This can
> apply similarly to SVG and MathML.)

I don't understand why this is necessary. I think it would be misleading
because it would make authors question why other parts of the spec don't
specify the namespace.

I've added a redundant note to the parser intro about this, but it's
redundant -- it just references the terminology section and repeats the
same point again.