[whatwg] Should <video controls> generate click events?

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Tue Sep 10 16:53:10 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> > It's the behavior users expect when watching videos, which is the case
> > <video> should optimize for.  If you're doing something else where the
> > user interacts with the video in other ways, then it's expected that you
> > need to prevent this behavior explicitly.
> >
> > Unlike browser controls, this is visible to scripts and something that
> > affects authors, so this probably should be in the spec if it isn't.
>
> I'm not sure what you want in the spec here. Can you elaborate?

The same thing you described: the activation behavior for videos should be
to toggle play/pause.  If only some browsers do it, it's an interop
problem, and it seems like the right default behavior.

I'm not sure whether this should only be when browser controls are enabled
or not.  It might be best to keep them orthogonal, so browser controls are
always UI controls that don't generate click events at all.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> This is why I am saying: Philip's example is not a typical use case. It
> > only happens when the developer made the choice to roll their own, but
> > the user activates the default controls (e.g. through the context menu)
> > as well. This can't happen on YouTube, because YouTube hide away the
> > context menu on the video element.

You can't do that.  Browsers have options to remove the ability for pages
to prevent the context menu from opening.  I always use it, since it's
disruptive (the browser's context menu belongs to me, not the page).

--
Glenn Maynard