[whatwg] Question about document.referrer (and document.URL, document.location.href) when IDN domains are in use

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Wed Sep 11 04:03:00 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2013, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> But then we shouldn't garble pathname either and we do because we have
>> to. So I'm not sure that line of reasoning makes sense. I do think we
>> should offer some kind of conversion utility between the two.
>
> It is unfortunate that resolving URLs does that, it's true. But just
> because we're constrained here, why should we mess up domains also?

Consistency. It means the entire URL is effectively a byte sequence.
And it's very clear what the DNS lookup will be. And given that they
keep insisting on changing what certain code points map to over in
IETF-land (with limited support from browser vendors :/), it seems
safer too.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/